Message in response to Open Letter to Council from Nancy Michaels, published 9July
OurKincardine is a collective of individuals who have shared values and a shared vision for our community. Our vision is for a Municipality that is inclusive, equitable and sustainable. Our values are centered around promoting progressive change and people first politics by supporting diverse and inclusive leadership at all levels of government. We seek to amplify the voices of those who have been historically and systemically silenced and/or may not otherwise see themselves or their values reflected in our current Council. We do not represent everyone – we strive to find ways to help individuals represent themselves.
We believe in the positive impact of community engagement, specifically with regards to improving the quality of life and sense of belonging that is felt among groups and individuals who have been historically excluded from leadership roles. Empowering individuals to speak up for themselves at the Municipal level, and to expect accountability, can only lead to a more engaged and satisfied citizenry.
OurKincardine encourages community engagement by:
● hosting webinars that teach residents how to navigate our municipal website
● sharing educational posts through our Instagram account @OurKincardine about the importance of affordable housing, equity, diversity, inclusion, antiracism, Pride, body-neutrality, etc.
● demonstrating how to turn social media awareness into community activism
● amplifying the voices of those with lived experiences and perspectives that are historically underrepresented in the mainstream media
● challenging residents to be introspective about how they are contributing to a more inclusive community for all residents
Education, awareness, community engagement and activism are just some of the ways we create a more equitable community. We encourage anyone with questions about our group to visit our corner of the internet on Instagram (@OurKincardine) to see for themselves who we are, what we stand for and what we are doing about it.