No settlement in Huron County suffered such a dramatic change in its fortunes as the hamlet of Rodgerville.
Straddling the London Road on the edges of Usborne and Hay Townships, Rodgerville at its peak of prosperity in the 1870s’ boasted a hotel, two general stores, tannery, carriage works, plough maker, blacksmith, brickyard, veterinarian, barber, shoemaker, saddler, dressmaker, cheese factory and church.
Within just a few years, Rodgerville would be nothing more than a scattering of derelict and abandoned buildings.
Originally called Warrensville named after the nearby Warren Creek, William Elder was the first settler who, in 1834, located in Rodgerville.
As the midway point between London and Goderich, it was the logical spot for a stopover for weary travellers on the London Road, which then was little more than a blazed trail.
A Presbyterian congregation was formed in 1848 with the Rev John Logie as the first minister.